Skip to main content

Substance use block grant (SUBG)

Block grants are funds the federal government gives to states for providing services. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) has given us a block grant for substance use disorders (SUDs). It means we can help more people — even if you’re not a Mercy Care member.

Not yet a member?

Learn about becoming a member in Mercy Care Medicaid plans or Mercy Care Advantage.

What’s covered and who benefits

What’s covered and who benefits

We can spend the SUBG funds or “pass them through” to providers that help people in the community who need covered services for SUDs.

Those who can take part are uninsured:

  • Adults with an SUD
  • Youth with an SUD

Some groups that use these services include: 

  • Pregnant women and youth who use drugs by injection (always receive services)
  • Pregnant women and youth who use substances (always receive services)
  • Other people who use drugs by injection (always receive services)
  • Women and youth who use substances and have dependent children and families. That includes women trying to regain custody of their children (when funds allow)
  • Other people with an SUD, no matter their gender or route of use (when funds allow)


You may need outpatient or residential treatment. Your providers do all they can for your whole health, including your:

  • Behavioral health (mental health and SUDs) 
  • Physical health (health of your body)

This is called integrated care.


Outpatient (behavioral health home) treatment

Outpatient treatment lets people live at home when not in treatment. You can:

  • Stay in school
  • Keep working
  • Handle other personal tasks

You can go to group or individual therapy sessions each week. You can also meet with a mental health provider and receive medicine.

Residential treatment and referrals

For some providers, you don’t need a referral. So you can contact them on your own.

Residential treatment includes live-in care in a stable setting. The treatment may last for one month to one year. It’s best for people:

  • Without a stable place to live or work
  • With little or no family support in treatment
  • With very serious disorders who haven’t been able to get and stay sober or drug free in other treatment

Providers and resources

Providers for residential treatment

You can reach out to one of these providers:

Axiom Care

Chicanos Por La Causa
Corazon Men’s Substance Abuse Residential Services 


Ebony House

Lifewell Behavioral Wellness
Accepts children up to age 6 and women

Native American Connections
Accepts children up to age 6 and women
Clinic: 602-424-2060

Terros Health


MAT for substance use disorders (SUDs)

MAT means using approved medication to treat SUDs (opioids and alcohol). It works best with counseling or behavioral therapies. 

You’ll want to tell your other providers if you get help with MAT. You have the best chance of success when all your providers know what’s going on with you. That way, they can work together to make sure you get the care you need, when you need it. This is called coordination of care.  

Need to learn more about MAT? Just visit our MAT page.

Providers who use MAT

You don’t need a referral to get help with MAT. Here are some providers you can call:

24/7 providers who use MAT

Community Bridges, Inc. 
24/7 opioid treatment on demand

Community Medical Services 
24/7 opioid treatment on demand

Intensive Treatment Systems 
24/7 opioid treatment on demand

Other providers who use MAT

BAART Behavioral Health Services

Center for Behavioral Health

New Hope Behavioral Health

Southwest Behavioral & Health Services

Terros Health

Valle del Sol

Hushabye Nursery
Medical detox nursery for babies born with neonatal abstinence syndrome (NAS) or neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome (NOWS) and outpatient family services

Community Bridges Center for Hope
Long-term supported housing and services for pregnant women experiencing homelessness

Arizona Women’s Recovery Center
Housing and services for women with children, pregnant women and single women experiencing homelessness

More about SUBG

You can learn more about SUBG.

Questions? Email us. Or call 602-586-1841 or 1-800-564-5465(TTY 711). We’re here for you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Are you or someone you know in crisis?

Visit our crisis services page. Or get help right away:

Providers can order resources

Complete the online form to order educational materials about behavioral health services at no cost.